Wednesday 3 June 2015

Uh oh...

These past couple of days have been a bee emotional roller coaster!

We were given a new colony for our spare hive in my garden. The day they arrived started in the same way, mum and I got everything ready and comfortable for our new bees-we were slightly more relaxed and confident this time as we'd transferred a colony a couple of weeks ago.



The bees came in a nuc box this time and had been in it for 6 weeks. We'd never transferred bees from nuc to hive before but quickly realised it was so much easier! We literally picked up the frames from the box and placed them into their new home.



The bees were part of a colony that were about to swarm from a school so were collected and artificially formed into the nuc. They were the most docile bees I'd ever come across. I'd convinced myself that it was because they'd come from a primary school and had learnt to behave during inspections...slightly naive?



I literally sat in my living room and watched the bees for the next few hours, what I saw was most alarming.We were used to putting a swarm in and watching them dart around all over the place busying themselves with home improvements and establishing their location with what's hot and what's not in the foraging world! This new bunch seemed to just shy away and stay inside. We convinced ourselves that this must be the norm for a nuc swarm as they are already established.






I checked the syrup feeder later on-not a bee in sight...panic consumed me, I went straight to Twitter and old faithful, Google to seek advice. The general consensus was that their lack of movement could be because they were in shock from their car journey. It didn't feel right but having an answer allowed me to sleep that night!

Next morning I had to leave early for work, I checked on the bees but none of them were out so I assumed it was a bit too early and cold for them to be out. I later got a text from my mum saying she'd touched a bee on the outside of the hive and it just fell to the ground-another couple were responsive but didn't move much. This was so worrying as I was stuck at work and unable to help. We sought advice and were told to sprinkle the syrup along the tops of the frames and let it drip down. She did this, straight away the bees started waking up out of a sluggy trance and made their way to the sugary food. Suddenly the two and a bit lifeless frames finally began looking like a normal colony for a bit. Within half an hour a few stronger bees made their flight out of the hive. It was a sight we feared we wouldn't see from these bees. They were hours from certain death.



When I got back from work I checked the feeder-there was only one bee in there, everyone else in the hive was very sluggish so we basically hand fed them again by pouring the syrup onto the frames. They again mustered up some energy to fly but the weather was quite bad and it was getting late. For the first time in my very short bee keeping career I was able (and felt brave enough) to open the hive with no protective clothing. I was fully trusting my new bees and they were trusting me...too weak to defend their home and grateful for a sugary boost.



We will continue to check them and do our absolute best to keep them strong and alive. So many unanswered questions are in our minds, are they in shock from the drive, disorientated, hungry? All your comments/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for reading today,
Nicola


No comments:

Post a Comment